Saturday, April 18, 2020

Small authors are stalking you.

The thing about being a nobody writer is that in slow times, the KIndle unlimited reports occasionally imply the reading path of a single reader. It's a bit creepy in a way, but fascinating. If I am to draw the simplest conclusions based on how many pages have been read of which book, it would appear that someone in the states had a slow start to my first book,, Lifehack, but picked up speed, dong the bulk of it yesterday and the day before, them moving right on to my 2nd book, Watching Yute. Yute has A very different tone, but it has not slowed them down. (Again, I'm drawing conclusions COULD be 1000 readers each reading one page, then moving on, or 250 people reading 4 pages, etc, etc, but I think my initial conclusions are pretty likely.) I worry that Yute's vastly different (and depressing!) low-action tone would turn off people who just finished blowing up 2 cities worth of zombies, but, my new reader seems to be into it. There is an urge to lean over their shoulder and see where they are exactly, and gush. "Ooh, see that part? She was implying... oh, you got that? Good. Ooh, this next part is good, READ IT REALLY HARD! I'll hold your hand if you need support." A small writer very much appreciates support, (and good lord, a review?? That can make a month!) but the little ones are watching from the corner when you wander into their shop. They dearly hope you enjoy whatever little candy you pick up, and would treasure feedback if it was a little too sweet? Oh, you would have liked a stronger hint of raspberry? The gooey centre could have been bigger? Would that have been too overt? I don't want to diminish it by putting in too much, but Ohh yes, the middle can be... SO GOOD. Did you rush in for it? Did you savour the outer layers? They were there for your pleasure, to complete the experience.

No comments: