Friday, March 27, 2020

Contact in the dark. Rubberman's Exodus WIP fresh section


Fresh section, checking in on a couple of side-characters during the blackout. This isn't edited much, and could likely change by the final book.

---------------
Contact?” Gabe called into Contact's dark office, “Are you here?”
Gabe is that you?” Sounds of Contact fumbling to stand accompanied that of a cup falling to the ground, then rolling away. “Get these lights on!
I... I'm sure Messenger is working on it, Contact.”
Have we asked him? Properly?”
I'm not sure where he is. What... what do you mean by asking him properly?”
Contact scoffed. “In recent years, I've seen people addressing the Messenger with less reverence than is proper for the servant of the Great Actual. This is all a warning! A punishment! We must throw ourselves before Messenger and beg for forgiveness!”
I'm not sure-”
I blame that Lenth! A mere Subject, and-”
Contact, the Messenger seems to favour Lenth well enough, if Lenth were to blame-”
Whatever! It's not right! He's a problematic sort!”
Gabe sighed. “Contact, the reason I'm here is just to make you aware that several Subjects are out of their Units. It seems that in light of this unexpected blackout, some Managers have decided-”
They're loose!? Subjects running around loose!?” Staggered footsteps could be heard in Contact's direction, going nowhere very quickly.
None of them are above Manager level right now, and they're peaceful. It's only a dozen or two. It's not like Citizenry's spilled out.”
Contact let out a horrified gasp, and then a moment of silence.
Contact? Are you a-”
Has anyone checked that Citizenry is secure?!
From the Grand Elevator shaft, things seem quiet,” Gabe said.
This is all unacceptable! Find Messenger! Politely! Now!
Gabe sighed. Again. “All right. Stay safe here, okay, Contact? I'll... make sure I post a Provider near your door to keep problematic sorts away from you.”
Post two!”
Sure.”
Four?”
Sure.”
And do we know where those shock-sticks are?”
Four guards with shock-sticks. I'll see what I can do.”
Good, good. You're a good man, Gabe.”
Sure.”

No comments: